Friday, 2 October 2026

Rumination (or over thinking) versus thinking

You know that feeling when you wake up having had a profound insight.  And then in the clear light of day, you wonder if it was such an insight after all...

Well, to avoid that doubt I am writing this early in the morning, before dawn.

And the insight I imagine I may have had is that rumination (or 'over-thinking') differs from thinking differs from thinking (in the sense I suse it when teaching Nancy Kline's Thinking Environment) in the same way that self-flagellation differs from doing one's exercise reps.

And as dawn breaks, I realise I may have had this insight (or something very close to it) before, as I find a blog on my sight tagged rumination, and titled Overthinking.

Ah well, repetition is good, as my physio has often pointed out...

--

 Image: © frimages/Getty Images

No comments:

Post a Comment