Monday 9 August 2010

Negotiating Skills

Gratifying to find, once again, that that stuff I teach about negotiating really works in practice.

Annie had left my bike in Pooley Bridge overnight (locked to something, of course), and returned to find it gone.  

The insurers wanted me to settle for some rubbish own-brand bike from Halfords (or £225 cash) to replace my rather nice Specialized Ridgeback.  After a bit of to and froing (using the full range of Harvard strategies), they offered a substantially upgraded bike from Halfords (RRP £550 - probably worth £450 at the most) and we eventually settled on a cash amount that replaced my bike with the current Specialized, plus the rack and other fittings, and left me with a few pennies in pocket, even allowing for the £60  excess.

I still maintain buying Getting to Yes was one of the best investments I have ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment